In 1971 Nieuwegein had 13330 inhabitants, by 2008 this had grown to approx. 61.000. The armour is based on a settlement called Geyne which received city rights in 1294 but was destryed in 1333 due to a war between the Bishop of Utrecht and the Count of Holland. Only the House of Oudegein remembers from that time.
After the fusion of 1971 there was a debate nor the name of the new municipal which gave the final decision to choose for the old settlement. (see also Wikipedia.nl). The armour is diverted from the city of Geyn. On their seals you could find a solid castle and the arnmour of the knights town of Oudgein. The upper half of the armour is a shield with crown showing a castle in silver on a red background. The lower half of the armour has waves in azure and silver.
Nieuwegein is a growth spot just below the provincial capital Utrecht and can be found along highway A2. It was created through a merging of Jutphaas and Vreeswijk. Jutphaas had a border switch in 1954 which brought an area of 8642 inhabitants to the municipal of Utrecht and received an area of 134 inhabitants from Oudenrijn.
Jutphaas was discontinued on 1-1-1971, at the time it had 7776 inhabitants. The establishment of Jutphaas is unknown but the first recording dates at 1165. The village was established around the church field at the road of Nedereind. Till the 17th century Jutphaas was a village with a less dense “bebouwing”and a castle called Rijnhuizen. From that date they started to grow along the river Vaartse Rhine which was enlarged to become the Merwede Channel. In 1812 Jutphaas became a municipal.
|Value||Background colour||Colour||Other remarks|
|0,01||dark blue on pale blue||value in red||blue-green vertical line|
|0,05||dark blue on pale blue||value in red|
|0,10||dark blue on ochre-yellow||value in red|
|0,25||pale blue on greenish blue||value in red|
|0,40||dark blue on pale blue||value in red||grey-blue vertical line|
|0,50||pale blue on azure blue||value in red|
|1,-||blauw on rose||value in red|
So far there are 2 key types which can be found back to 1938. The lacking of data will be compensated by using data of similar types of other municipalities.